- Revisiting old parliamentary codes, rules and refashion them to talk to the needs and realities of changing parliaments of the 21st century;
- Reconfiguring and/or rethinking parliamentary systems and processes and explore different avenues for contextualizing new parliamentary management paradigms that have positive cumulative impact on the administration of parliamentary business.
- Improving parliamentary core business processes to ensure that they maximize efficiency;
- Improving and providing integrated and seamless support to Members of Parliament as they discharge their constitutional duties around oversight, accountability, making quality laws and increasing public participation in parliamentary processes.
- Refocusing parliamentary systems and processes to be member-centric.
- Ensuring that the support and service offerings are tailor made for individual needs of Members of Parliament to ensure that they discharge their responsibilities unhindered.
- Making considerable efforts to ensure that Members of Parliament, as elected representatives of the people, are able to access, in real time and space, research products, content advisory services, legal and procedural advice of highest quality.
- Improving the value of information and ease of use;
For Parliamentarians or Members of Parliament in Africa Region and for Society of Clerks at the Table (SoCATT) Africa Region membership, the observation is that, in this current world that is at a stage of profound change and major readjustment, they face the common problem of bringing expert knowledge to bear on parliamentary business and decision-making. As McGann (2009) rightfully observes, “in a world saturated with information, connected by the web and challenged by complex issues that often hit like a meteor from outer space, there is a growing need to know where to turn for high quality information and analysis on critical policy issues”. In fact, this talks to the need to build their capacity, harness their “know-how “expertise and subject-specific specialties.